May 21, 2014

Dancing Monkey's and Big Decisions

Confession: Few things in life bring me as much joy as brushing, washing, braiding, curling, and even drying my little girls hair. Pathetic? Probably. 
Naturally, when Miss Macie informed me of her desire to own short hair (A heart-stopping surprise since she's been working toward "the Rapunzel" for years now.)  I ignored her completely.  That was months ago, long before I read this curse-ed book and discovered I was ruining my children's lives...
(Totally recommend this book by-the-way!)
Unfortunately, her idea wasn't quite as fleeting as I'd hoped and this past Monday morning as she once again demanded I rid her of the lusciously gorgeous locks, my heart sank.
The thought of chopping her hair literally made me sick.  However, I knew it was time...time to let her make her own decisions no matter how painful they may be for Mama.

With her big dance recital that very night, she allowed me one last day to enjoy her beautiful mane. She also provided me with an impromptu photo shoot, once again exercising her own free will with poses all her own...
Her recital was to die for.  Macie worked so hard and did AWESOME.  She was particularly proud of herself for finally mastering "the shimmy" after hours of practice... 

(video coming soon!)

 We slathered our little monkey with much love and affection...
She received countless compliments on her lovely head of hair and I just knew all the flattery was going to convince her to keep it long.
I was wrong.
Armed with the knowledge that hair takes FOREVER to grow and there would be no more braids, buns, ponies, or any of the like, she happily stood by her decision without wavering in the least.  Despite being up all night with a stomach bug, she was ready for her change.
"I'm so glad my mom's a barb," she told me over and over as I hacked away.
She was so nervous to see herself for the first time...
...and even more nervous to see what her boys would think.  They were shocked by the change, but quickly distracted by her beloved remnant...
Though it was definitely the most emotional haircut I've ever given and I will certainly miss playing with Macie's long hair, I am completely in love with this sassy little lady and her sassy new do...

Short hair, long hair, no hair, I realized it doesn't matter one bit.  She's a beautiful little girl inside and out and I am so proud to be her mother.  I can't wait to discover the fun new things we can do with this little bob of hers.  We were all so proud of our brave little dancing monkey...she was so nervous for her recital and went out there with a smile on her face and performed her little heart out.  I wish I had half the courage and spunk of my short-haired beauty.  I love you Macie Lee.

1 comment:

  1. Macie's hair looks adorable!!! I laughed when I saw Cole with her hair. Lol!

    ReplyDelete