March 5, 2013

Yucky Things, Yummy Things, and Good News

Is it just me, or has this been this worst winter in the history of winters ever?
I am fairly certain one or more of us has been consecutively sick since early October.
Between the countless colds/viruses, the many sinus infections, multiple bouts with the nastiest stomach flu known to man, walking pneumonia and bronchitis, things have been a little rough to say the least.  

A bright spot in this dark and dreary winter was in early January when John and I discovered a new little one would soon join our family.  
Despite the endless nausea and extreme fatigue, things are going well.  Okay, I'm pretty sure my husband is  calling me a liar right now. In all honestly, I feel like we have been in survival mode the past few months.  Which means lots of eating out, piles and piles of laundry and zero desire to blog.  

Either the nearly 4 year gap caused me to forget how yucky the first trimester can be, or this has been my worst pregnancy ever.  Just getting the children to and from school has been a struggle, forget grocery shopping, cooking, etc.  I am fresh out of energy, not to mention the fact that the sight/smell of anything and everything sends me into dry-heaving convulsions.  Poor John, he often drops not-so-subtly hints about how much he misses the days of home-cooked meals.  Thankfully, the past few days my nausea has been nearly non-existent...but now I have Strep Throat.  Needless to say we are very anxious for Spring to arrive.

The kids are thrilled about the new baby.  
This is my first pregnancy where I have children old enough to really get it.  My boys have been absolute angels and have made all this crazy first-trimester-yuckiness endurable.  Wyatt is constantly reminding me to eat extra so the baby doesn't take everything from me.  (I'm fairly certain the 10 lbs I've somehow already put on are a good indication that I am in fact getting my fair share, despite the vomiting.)  Cole is constantly pressing his head up to my stomach to "listen" to the baby, he gives it goodnight hugs and kisses, and tickles massages my feet whenever possible.  Macie was thrilled to announce our exciting news to our loved ones...
...she proudly shows off her new shirt to anyone who crosses her path.

Hopefully the worst is behind us.  Thank goodness for antibiotics, fast-food, and a patient enduring husband who loves me.  (You do, right?) 
I am fully committed to having a wonderful Spring/Second Trimester full of lots of home-cooked meals, a spotlessly clean house and a healthy family (a girl can always dream).

Ah, I almost forgot.  Besides the two times I made spaghetti and this day that nearly killed me, I did make something for our February Try Something New Night.  I had great intentions for a full course meal, but ended up just barely getting the main course thrown together...  
Okay so mac-n-cheese isn't all that new or very daring, but it's a new recipe for us and pretty much as brave as I can handle right now.  Maybe all the eating out made it taste amazing or maybe it's just that good, either way we loved it.  I think I ate it everyday lunch and dinner for a week.  Okay, the ham and peas started to make me gag so I had to pick them out, but seriously, it's delish!

Classic Macaroni and Cheese
6 slices hearty white sandwich bread,  torn into quarters
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, 3 tablespoons cut into 6 pieces and chilled
1 pound elbow macaroni
Salt
 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
5 cups milk
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Pulse bread and 3 tablespoons chilled butter in food processor to coarse crumbs.  Set aside.  Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat broiler.  Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot.  Add pasta and 1 tablespoon salt and cook, stirring often, until tender; drain pasta.  Melt remaining 5 tablespoons butter in now empty pot over medium-high heat.  Add flour, mustard, 1 teaspoon salt, and cayenne, and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture becomes fragrant and deepens in color, about 1 minute.  Gradually whisk in milk; bring mixture to boil, whisking constantly.  Reduce heat to medium and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes.  Off heat, slowly whisk in cheeses until completely melted.  Add pasta to sauce and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is steaming and heated through, about 6 minutes.  

With Ham and Peas
Add 8 ounces deli ham, sliced 1/4 inch thick and cut unto 1-inch pieces, and 1 cup frozen peas to cheese sauce along with pasta.

Transfer mixture to 13 by 9-inch broiler-safe baking dish and sprinkle with bread-crumb mixture.  broil until topping is deep golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.  Cool casserole for 5 minutes before serving.

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I hope you start feeling better really soon!!

    storiesofkel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I'm so excited for you guys! So cute that your kids understand and are being so sweet! I am TOTALLY going to try this mac and cheese gluten free. THanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh!!! Congratulations!!!!!!! How exciting!!

    Due date? Hope you're feeling better and getting some energy back now! I remember my first trimester with my oldest daughter was tiring, but my second pregnancy, chasing a toddler? Exhaustion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! ;o) I totally know how you feel. I had 7 colds in 9 months with my third pregnancy, but life had to carry on with school runs etc. It was so tough! Hope you are feeling better soon.

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations and hope things are on the up and up!

    www.mamacase.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!! So very exciting :) I hope that you start feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed you!!!! Also, congratulations and I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness that mac n cheese looks so yummy!! And I still couldn't be more excited for you! Can't wait to see what your having!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!
    Hello! I saw you at the hop social and I am your newest follower in GFC from http://inhighheelsanddogtags.blogspot.jp/. I look forward to seeing you over at my blog next :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to you! I know what you mean with the sickness. My grandkids have been sick this entire winter. One will catch something, then the next. Then it goes round and round and it ends up with me. I hope you stay illness free and have an easy pregnancy!

    lork lifewithraisapain.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats!!!! Your daughters shirt is adorable!

    Just wanted to pop in and let you know that I featured your blog today on the post Wednesday Weekly Review #22!! (http://blueeyedbeautyblogg.blogspot.com/2013/03/wednesday-weekly-review-22.html)

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog
    Exercise Encouragement Group Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete