March 27, 2013

Who is St. Patrick Anyway?

So I wasn't really feeling St. Patrick's Day this year, I'm not sure why exactly.  However, I have a suspicion any or all of the following may have contributed to my lack of enthusiasm:

1. I'm preggo.  In other words, I'm emotional, exhausted, and extremely unstable.  
2.  We recently returned home from a very fun, yet completely exhausting 7-day vacation.  
3. Our hardwood floors (entire main level) needed to be refinished.  Which meant everything had to be emptied and moved into the garage.  EVERYTHING.

So we skip over the whole thing, right? Not in our house.  Unfortunately John and I have gone way overboard in the past, like that time he dressed up as an over-sized (not-creepy-at-all) leprechaun...
Or that one time, when we invited half the neighborhood over for some Irish festivities...
Yikes, what was I thinking?  
With no one to blame but ourselves, the kids expect nothing short of amazing.
In fact, the day prior to good 'ol St. Patty's, Cole informed me it was his favorite holiday.  They couldn't stop talking about everything the leprechauns would do and all the gold they were going to find.  Yikes, again. 
They spent way more time than you could ever imagine building this...
What is that upside down shoe box you might ask?  
A leprechaun trap. Don't worry, I'd never heard of one either.
Thankfully, Harmon's had some gold available on the fly and the trap was, in the end, a success.
The kids were also anxious to see all the tricks the leprechauns would do to our home (again, learning from past mistakes here).  Unfortunately, due to moving all the furniture out, it was already quite disorderly.  John and I were fairly positive they wouldn't notice any of our attempts at "messing up" our already disastrous home.  However, they didn't miss a beat, the overturned candles and chairs, upside down pictures and randomly thrown pillows seemed to satisfy the demanding little creatures.  
They had fun searching for gold throughout the house and I particularly enjoyed their different hoarding techniques...
With 9 AM church, it was cereal for breakfast.  Much to the kids amazement, those pesky leprechauns even turned our milk green.  
That night we forgo-ed Irish food all together and instead started what I think will be a new tradition, a GREEN Mexican fiesta...

Complete with chili verde, guacamole, cilantro lime rice, and of course, margaritas.
Though I really would have preferred not to acknowledge this ridiculous holiday in anyway, (no offence to St. Patrick, whoever he is) it ended up being a fun day.  My only regret is that I took most of these pictures with my phone.  Maybe next year I'll go so far as to get my camera out.  And maybe, just maybe, little by little we can lower our children's expectations. 
Okay, who am I kidding?  Though usually exhausting, I'm pretty sure John and I love it just as much as the children.

4 comments:

  1. You are the BEST holiday mom EVER! I want to be just like you! How cute that your kids get so excited and how awesome that you and John are so fun and come up with the most creative things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tradition!! I love the upside down furniture and tossed pillows! Give those sweet children a hug from me! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like so much fun! Love your cute kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you guys have had some amazing St. Patrick's day celebrations! I miss celebrating it back east. It doesn't seem like people in AZ don't go all out like I did when I lived in Rhode Island. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete