December 19, 2012

What's on Your Shelf?

I very well could be the only mother in America not doing 'Elf on the Shelf'.  In fact, I don't really know what 'Elf on the Shelf' is exactly, except that it seems like a lot of work.  Unfortunately, my children discovered (from their pesky little friends) that 'Elf on a Shelf' is the best thing in the world and they are being horribly deprived by their cruel and un-loving mother.  I guess next year I may just have to cave, but for now, we're sticking with the traditions we know and love.

A favorite at our house is the receiving of a new ornament each year.  In the past, I've always chosen an ornament for everyone that coincides with a special event or accomplishment from that year.  I thought it would be fun to mix things up this year and let the kiddies pick their own...in the end, it was a horrific idea, (I'll get to that later) but it sure made for a fun night out.

We had a delicious Archibald dinner...
Followed by some major elf-hunting at the village...
See, I don't have anything against elves.  I just prefer to not have one on my shelf.
Next it was time for the main event:  The choosing of the annual ornament.  
Okay, we did get slightly distracted by the Christmas-inspiration-galore at my new favorite store, Celebrations...
Where John decided we must someday have a tree exactly like this one...
Where I decided, after years of coveting, that I would finally own a Jim Shore Nativity...
Distractions aside, it was time to make our final decision and boy were there oh-so-many choices...
With so many beautiful ornaments, it was excruciatingly painful for me to stand by and watch my children choose some that, let's see...how can I put this?  They maybe just weren't quite as lovely as what I would've picked.  Okay they were utterly and completely awful.  Macie chose Puss'n Boots, (a very hideous, $18 Puss 'n Boots, mind you) Cole chose a dinosaur and Wyatt insisted on a box of Chinese take out.  We (yes, John was just as perturbed as myself) tried our darndest to talk them into other, less-ugly ornaments, failing miserably. 

 The next day however, when I realized we spent over $50 on hideousness, I made a decision.  Maybe I'm a psycho-controlling-mean mother, but I don't care...I returned them all and informed my children that Mama picks the ornaments. 
 It is supposed to be a surprise after all, and what fun is a surprise if you know what your getting? 
Guess what?  They didn't care one bit.

After getting a late start and then battling sickness for 2 weeks, I was slightly rushed to find a second set of ornaments.  I'll admit, I'm not over-the-top-in-love with the new ones, however, they are a vast improvement over the first go round.
I was able to find a similar, yet so much better looking, dinosaur for our Coley...
When I saw this adorable moose,
I knew it was meant for our little Moosie
She even insisted on "putting it with it's parents"...
Since Wyatt has recently dubbed himself "monkey-boy", with good reason...
I thought this little sock-monkey the perfect choice.
Lesson learned:  Children should have absolutely zero say in the ornament they receive each year.  However, I'm glad we tried it, now I know.  We also had such a fun night together.  I'm sure the store owners also thoroughly enjoyed watching my children man-handle every item they could possibly get their grubby little fingers on.
Oh, and there was also this...
Totally worth it.
So, what's on your shelf? Is there a fun loving elf?  If so, I may be coming to you for help next year.  Happy Holidays!

4 comments:

  1. You saved the best picture for last! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I die laughing every time I look at it!

      Delete
  2. I've never seen a Jim Shore nativity until now. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P. S. I'm Anonymous!!!!

    ReplyDelete