December 26, 2012

Haul OUT the Holly

The past few days have been wonderful.  Christmas is definitely a magically time and this year was no exception.  I'm sure there will be at least 2 or 3 future-blog-posts documenting our Christmas festivities, but I wanted to quickly capture our Christmas-y home before the decorations are laid to rest for the next 11 months. 
I'm not quite ready to part with them yet, it always seems a little less cheery when the sparkly lights and the some-what-annoying-yet-so-very-festive glitter is officially gone.  I'm especially going to miss our very first Christmas mantle.  We have never had a fire-place before this house and this past summer, Mr. McCoyver himself built this beautiful mantle for our home...
A pair of eyebolts, some rope, and five little clothes pins were all we needed to hang our stockings while simultaneously completing our first ever pinterest-inspired project.  For the mantle-top, I used various jars (including the recently emptied pickle jar) filled with pine branches, fresh cranberries, water, and finally a tealight. 
I love how they glow at night.
We will all be sad to see our tree go as well...
It was so much fun plastering the tree and house with the mossy branches and giant sugar pine-cones we gathered here.
It's always so enjoyable, yet ever-so-slightly tortuous, trying to cram all of my decor into every nook and cranny of this place...
If you can't tell, I kinda love decorating for Christmas.  It kinda takes me like 2 weeks.  I kinda mostly don't care, but I'm fairly certain John hates every single moment of those 2 weeks.  I'm not sure why, maybe the glitter-galore, the styrofoam remnants scattered here and there, and the pine-needles crunching unceasingly beneath our feet, get to him...either way, it's worth it in the end.  Hopefully this post will help me meet my goal of getting it all up in 1 week next year. Would anyone mind reminding me of that particular goal next year?

Yes, I'm sad to see it all soon go, but the things I will miss the most, those little wonders I have cherished this year are...
The hundreds (literally) of snowflakes Wyatt made while off track, though the vacuum and I will both be glad to see the gazillion little white paper remnants found EVERYWHERE disappear for good.  
The sweet little snow-globe he made but couldn't wait until Christmas to give us...
The cinnamon ornament made by Lisa Nicole, the kiddies school ornaments, and the plethora of cards, crafts, and pictures that adorn our fridge will all be hard to part with.
Though I most definitely will be in mourning for a few days while I take all this loveliness down, I always somehow feel refreshed and excited for the new year afterward.

*If you were wondering*
Chanel-quilted velvet stockings found here.
Jim Shore Heritage nativity found on this outing.
Lovely little birdies found here.
St. Nicholas Square village found here.

5 comments:

  1. You have a lovely home! Looks so cozy and very festive...from the lovely mantel (nice work by your hubs!), to the gorgeous garland on your railing and the beautiful tree! I'm like you and definitely don't look forward to taking down the Christmas cheer around the house. But like you said, a fresh start is a great way to start the new year. :)

    xo
    Haley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is always so much work getting it all up (and down) but it makes the Holidays so much fun.

      Delete
  2. oh man, i LOVE those jars with the cranberries and branches in them! i'll have to steal that idea next year :) merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the idea on pinterest and had to copy as well!

      Delete
  3. beautiful house! I love all the Christmas decorations!

    ReplyDelete