November 24, 2012

Angels and Arguments

Thanksgiving Day was spent with family and of course, a whole lot of amazingly delicious food.  
We certainly have much to be grateful for and had a wonderful day together.
 Besides the deliciousness we consumed seemingly non-stop, our day was filled with fun family traditions, some old and some new.    

The kids crafted...
...while John and I slipped away for a familiar stroll down the good old canal road.
I'm not sure why neither of us look happy.  We were, I promise.  
Really, we hadn't even started fighting...that will come later.

Then it was back for a little poetry reading, also-known-as 'the ticket to pie'.  
(Which was the inspiration behind this nonsense, in case you were wondering.)  
Though the video quality is lacking, the kids did great reciting one of John's favorite poems...
Then it was time for pie.  Then more pie.  Then a little more food.  Then it was time to lay down.  At which point there may or may not have been a few buttons undone.  Then it was time to say farewell to Thanksgiving and jump full speed ahead into Christmas, with the opening of the first gift of the season.
The boys were slightly disappointed with their present, though I did warn them not to be overly excited.
Macie however, couldn't have been happier about her new sleep-wear...
Once clad in their new pajamas...
It was time to draw names for the annual cousin's-gift-exchange.
Today, the Christmas spirit continued as I awoke to three Santa-hat-clad angels anxious for us to attack the beastly mess we failed to slay the night before...
We declared it Pajama Day and went to work.
After working all day (seriously, ALL day) the house is still covered in glitter, pine-needles, boxes, and a whole lot of decorations still needing a home.  However, we had a fun day working in our pj's while listening to Christmas music...Clearly, Black Friday is not acknowledge in anyway around here.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a good deal as much as anyone, I just appreciate sleep so much more.  I thought about doing some shopping when John got home, but he had other ideas.  Dinner and a movie? That's right up there with sleeping, sorry all you stores overly-packed-with-mad-crazy-consumers, maybe next year.  
We were off on a night filled with romance...
Sarcasm? Yes.
Romance? No.
The Mexican food was good.  The Life of Pi was good.  Then there was just one little incident.
I really can't say I am surprised, we did get into the exact same fight when we read the book...
However much John hopes it to be so, the ending is not up for interpretation.  I won't ruin the movie for anyone, but just trust me, he's totally wrong.

Don't you just hate it when you know your spouse knows you're right, but they just keep saying they're right, but there's no way they could actually possibly think they are right because they are so so very wrong.  And it just blows your mind that they can't see how right you are.  
And don't you just hate it when you ruin a perfectly good night by arguing about something that really doesn't even matter.  

I'm sorry, John.

I still think I'm right though.
But I'm sorry I was mean.  It's just that I really am right.  You know? 

I wish we didn't argue.  Over the past few days, despite the craziness, I've been feeling like the luckiest girl in the world.  I've been overwhelmed with gratitude.  I am so thankful for my wonderful husband and how hard he works and what a loving father he is.  Even though he doesn't really understand movie endings the way he should, he truly is amazing.  I am so grateful for our children.  For our faith.  For our home and country.  Every now and then it just hits me how amazingly blessed we are.
Then this little angel whispers in my ear...
"Mama, I am seriously not even kidding, I really am thankful for you.  I mean, I really really just love you."
Then I cry because I truly am the luckiest girl in the world. 

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.  I hope nobody was trampled today.  I hope there were some non-arguing couples out there, somewhere.  Anyone want to debate the ending of The Life of Pi with me?

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you guys had a wonderful thanksgiving! You look gorgeous btw-lip color?? :) Looks like impassioned from MAC? :) And I don't want to debate the ending with you-but rather discuss because after reading the end I was like "whaaaat??" Anywho, when I come out in 2 weeks (yay!!! 2 weeks!) we will have to get together and chat;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you always guess lipstick and are usually dead on! That takes some serious skill, or lipstick addiction :) It's actually just a old Almay or Covergirl or something...John hates it. Maybe that's what started the fight. Can't wait to see you guys!

      Delete
  2. I loved spending the day with all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me in on the discussion! I want to hear what you think! I was so confused/shocked! You do look gorgeous, as Carly said, are your kids are adorable! I love that you guys do pj's and Christmas decorations right after Thanksgiving. SO fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the fun stuff you did with the kids, and the yummy food :) Glad you like to cook ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen the movie yet but did read the book and I think you are right. But we did have a little book club and everyone else would agree with John...they discussed their 'interpretation' of the ending for a long time. HMMM...

    ReplyDelete