November 29, 2012

A Miraculous Story

Last night our current bed-time-story came to an end...
Boy was I surprised to discover this book was only written in 2006.  As we were reading, I assumed it was an age old classic.  I'm going to go ahead and dub The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane a modern-classic.  I believe every child should hear this story, especially children in this current generation, who seem to have so many things and very little appreciation for hard work...I'm trying so hard not to talk about politics right now.  
Back to the story...
 I have a difficult time giving book reviews because I personally love reading a book when I have no idea what to expect. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane is about a china rabbit and his journey through life.  It's a children's story with a message for all ages.  That is all I'm going to say.  If my opinion isn't enough enticement to read it, maybe the list of awards this book has claimed is.

The theme of this story can be summarized by a quote from the book: 
"If you have no intention of loving or being loved, then the whole journey is pointless."

There were definitely moments where I questioned my decision to read this to my children.  Parts of the story confused them, leaving tears and anger behind.  There was lots of explaining to do, but mostly because they have never heard a story that isn't all flowers and rainbows.  However, we trudged on, and boy I'm I glad.  I knew this story would teach a valuable lesson, but I did not think my children would actually like it.  I was wrong.  This is the first time upon finishing a book that they immediately begged me to start it again.  I realized how good it is for children to feel real-life emotions, especially boys.  
Wyatt and Cole claim they LOVED it.  Macie hated it, passionately.  
So it may have been a little much for a 3-year-old, but look who she's been playing with all day...    
Think I might need to find an Edward Tulane doll rabbit (Edward is NOT a doll) for Christmas.
Happy Reading!

3 comments:

  1. Maci is a doll. I love her dark hair! So so beautiful. Do you think that book would be good for my moms 2nd graders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Car, your mom is the one who recommended it to me!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like such a good book! Maybe I'll wait like six months and read it to Daci. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete