July 1, 2012

Bananas about Summer

Thursday was Wyatt's last day of kindergarten (sniff, sniff).  He definitely had an interesting year filled with some highs and some lows.  We had a few bully problems along the way, lots of little girl crushes to deal with, and the mysterious case of the missing underpants (long story).  I also recently discovered that Wyatt received his first kiss...on the mouth.  Not too thrilled about that.  Through the ups and downs, Wyatt was always happy and positive.  He excelled in reading and math and received a perfect report card every quarter.  He had a wonderful teacher this year, we loved Mrs. Jeppson.
He choose to go to Menchie's to celebrate his graduation, which is quickly becoming a family favorite.
Lemon-Raspberry-Blackberry-Tart Ice-cream with M&M's, Nerds, sprinkles and Aunt Lisa...can life get any better?

Now that schools is finally out, it feels like summer is just getting started.  However, I will say, the kids have already had plenty of fun in the sun...
John and I would be perfectly content to never step foot in another cesspool of overly chlorinated filth  public pool or wait an hour in line to ride a 15 second water-slide for as long as we live...but the kids just can't seem to get enough.
Something all of us enjoy, is spending time in the beautiful Utah mountains.
We were able to squeeze a few hikes in during the month of June and ended up putting Macie in some precarious situations, all in the name of catching a great photo.  Don't worry, we kept her at least 3 feet away from the rattlesnake.  I can't complain, at least John didn't eat it this time.
Another hot summer night we invited seven rambunctious boys over for pizza and games.  
 I loved these invites John made:
Wyatt waited anxiously ALL DAY for 6pm to roll around.
The boys had a great time and I was able to keep most of my sanity intact.
We've also enjoyed having Matt, Lisa, and their darling doll,  Eleanor here for the summer.
We've spent quality time together beautifying ourselves...
...and the boys have had fun doing what boys do.
Matt seems to be M.I.A...maybe they were aiming at him? You never know with these boys.

We also had a lesson in Colombian cuisine.  
We made Pico de Gallo, Guacamole, Platanos, Jugo de Mora, and Carne Asada.
It was fun learning the correct way to cook these "green bananas".  It reminded me of when I purchased some on one of my first trips to the grocery store as an ignorant 20-year-old-newlywed.  After about 3 weeks of impatiently waiting for them to ripen, I decided it wasn't going to happen...so I ate one.
Lesson learned: NEVER EAT A RAW PLANTAIN
I LOVE these Platanos that my mother-in-law makes.  Think of a homemade potato chip, but so much better.  She serves them salted, with homemade pico and guac...delish!  

Speaking of bananas, a few weeks ago I decided to try out a new recipe.  John is just a little bit obsessed with french toast, so I'm always on the lookout for a new version.  I stumbled across a recipe for  Carmelized Banana & Cream Cheese Filled French Toast.
We decided to wake up early and surprise John, as usual I had plenty of  "help".
I grew up with a father who frequently ate banana sandwiches...in case you don't know what a banana sandwich is, its 2 slices of bread with a banana in the middle.
So of course, I had to invite him over to try the fancified version of a banana sandwich.  
I never thought I'd like cooked bananas, but these were delicious.
The month of June was another crazy one, but filled with some sweet Summer moments I'm completely bananas over:

Witnessing Ellie's obsession with John's beard.
Watching an enthralled Macie in a field of dandelions,
and my boys first experience with America's favorite pastime...
highly entertaining and highly recommended.
Got to love Summertime.

Platanos (Fried Plantains)
From the kitchen of Patty McCoy

Plantains
Cooking Oil
Heavy pot, for frying
Heavy pan or board covered well greased

Heat oil in the heavy pan.  With a sharp knife, cut off the two ends of the plantain.  The score down vertically along on of the ridges, start peeling aside by flicking the knife edge under the peel along the cut edge.  After you have peeled the plantain, cut it into 2 inch pieces.

Place the pieces in the medium/hot oil and cook on both sides until they have turned a golden color.  Remove and drain on paper towels.  Let these pieces rest for at least 15 minutes.

Using a sturdy board, plate, or pot, smash the pieces flat.
Return the flattened patacones to the hot oil for another 5 minutes until lightly browned, then remove to a paper towel.

Salt to taste.  Serve with your favorite Pico de Gallo and Guacamole.

3 comments:

  1. You have the best pictures of your cute kids! I love the pictures of them getting sprayed with the hose and I may have teared up when I saw the picture of Cole and Wyatt in their baseball uniforms! To die for! I can't wait til Street starts sports, hopefully he will have a little brother who plays with him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand the baseball tears...I seriously was chocked up their whole first game, there is just something about little boys playing baseball! The fact that you are already planning on future children with twin babies and a three year old is very impressive!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE MENCHIES!!! Can we please meet there once of these days?!?!

    ReplyDelete