July 7, 2012

All-American-Rednecks

With the state-wide ban on target shooting (due to the wild fires plaguing our beautiful mountains) we weren't able to celebrate Independence Day in our traditional way...exercising our right to bear arms.
 July 4th 2011

However, we still were able to get our all-american-redneck on last week at a somewhat barbaric, yet highly entertaining spectacle... 
the RODEO.
Yee-Haw.  It was awesome.
Wyatt was especially enthralled by the whole affair.  In the beginning, he thought it was sad, scary, and down right mean....by the end of the night, he was converted.
He even participated in one of the events: 
Pulling duck taped dollar bills (and a good chunk of hair) from fleeing calves....
Barbaric? Yes. Cruel? Very. 
Yet, simultaneously hilarious and so very fun to watch.
I have a feeling I'm going to get some anit-rodeo comments on here if I'm not careful.
My heart nearly stopped when he went down under a stampede of blood thirsty children, but he came away with a one dollar bill...totally worth it.

Nothing makes me feel more American than eating delicious food fresh from the deep fryer.  Really, few things are better.
Cole may have had a slight sugar high as evidenced  in the following photos:
Even at a redneck rodeo, our nations flag always brings pride to my heart and a tear to my eye.  I love this country.
On the morning of the 4th, we listened to patriotic songs and talked about moments like these from our country's history...

We talked about brave men who were inspired and guided by God...
and those who still fight to preserve this country we are blessed to call home.

One of my proudest moments as a mother:  
Watching my two boys fight back tears as their little American hearts swelled with pride.
We spent most of the day with family.
Relaxing
and playing with the highly entertaining Uncle Tommy and his wondrous green quilt. 
By the way, I owe you Tom...the kids have never fallen asleep faster.

If there is any form of concentration required, Macie's tongue is sure to make an appearance.
Yes, I am making fun of my own child, but only because I am very much aware of who she inherited that particular attribute from.

We ended the night in the traditional way...allowing our children to play with fire.
God Bless America.

6 comments:

  1. Such a cute post! The rodeo looked fun! We had tons of fun with you guys! Good thing tommy is so creative with a blanket, our kids were out in two seconds also!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps I am still laughing at macies adorable singing performance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, who knew a blanket could be so much fun?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun day! Wish we could have been there to celebrate with you guys! I absolutely love how you document on your blog. Your writing is so creative and entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kori, blogging is a bit addicting! I need to cut back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have spent the past two hours on your spectacular blog! I'm only up to July 10, 2012 and I have things to do -- darn it. Will get back to it later. It has been the most enjoyable morning.

    ReplyDelete